Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer Excitement


I've been walking in some local parades on behalf of the bank - which Alaina loves!  So, here are a couple of pictures of Alaina and two of her friends - Bella and Emmet (and their candy stashes) at the most recent parade. 


"Hey Mom....look there is a fire truck just like the one at the parade!"


"What's that boy doing, Mommy."

"He goin in mines house?"

"Yep!" As you can see....we had a little extra excitement this morning! I sat down to feed Landon in the living room and all the sudden smelled something burning.  It smelled like a candle had just gotten blown out...but we didn't have any candles burning.  So I started looking through the house to see if I could find anything...but found nothing.  The smell kept getting stronger and stronger though, so I called Andy at work.  He came home, smelled something burning right away too and told me to call the fire dept.  I took the kids outside right away and called 911....told them that we could smell something burning but couldn't find anything.  I didn't know if they could send someone down to check it out with us.  Well...they sent two firetrucks (FULL of fire fighters), a cop car and an ambulance.  They too...smelled the burning and were on the search for a hot spot.  To their dismay...they couldn't find anything!  I told them exactly what I had been doing (turned on the air this morning, ran the dishwasher, etc).  After sending guys through the house, looking in and around the dishwasher, in the attic, basement, on top of the garage and around the house...they came out and said they had good news and bad news: the good news was they couldn't find anything...the bad news was there was definitely a burning smell still.  They felt that the house was safe and gave us the green light to re enter.  They encouraged us to keep them posted and let them know if anything changed.  I was still not at peace and knew something had to have happened (Andy and our landlord felt the same way - and he wanted to look around a little himself to figure out where the smell was coming from).  So as the firetrucks pulled away - we went in the house and Andy opened up the dishwasher...AND immediately found a little white (tupperware) sippy cup lid that had fallen through the racks and had burned / melted all the way through at the bottom of the dish washer.  Ha ha!  Finally...I felt completely at peace....and then quite idiotic! Did I seriously just call the fire dept about a melted sippy cup lid? Yep. Wow!  Ha ha.  That is exactly what happened though...so I thought I would share this with you all....just in case you ever experience a similar smell! :)  Ha ha.

    *The stuffed animal Alaina is holding is Spark, a dog, given to her by one of the firemen.  How nice!  We definitely owe it to these guys (volunteers) who dropped whatever they were doing to rush to our house (all for a melted sippy cup lid :) )!

4 comments:

OurLittleBlessingS said...

This will be a good story to tell for years! but i would have totally done the same thing. I'm glad you called them! Esp with having 2 babies:D

Hope you are enjoying the 2nd half to your already, exciting sat! SEe you tomorrow honey!
jess

Jamie said...

Haha!!! Enough said...

I remember one time my friend called the cops (her dad was a cop too) because she thought that there was a burglar outside with a ski mask on but it was just the newspaper delivery man.

Bethany said...

Oh what a great story! I agree with Jess. It's one you'll be telling for years to come! It's always better to be safe than sorry! Did you let the fire department know that you found out what was causing the smell? I'm surprised they didn't check the dishwasher themselves.

Stacy said...

Bethany - our landlord ran the melted lid down to the fire department right away...so they would know what was causing the smell. I would have loved to see their faces...when they saw it. Haha. They actually did check the dishwasher themselves (and specifically told us that they checked it out)...but the sippy cup lid was white as is the bottom of our dish washer...so they simply looked over it. We decided it is probably because they are used to finding actual fires...and not melted sippy cup lids...haha!